Monday, August 27, 2018

Week 9 - Three Missionaries Walk into a Bar

Hey everyone! 

This week has been quite the rollercoaster of emotions. We saw miracles and were reminded unfortunately that Satan still has an influence in this world. 

On Wednesday, we were making flyers (on the computers in the library) for another church tour we are doing. This kid named Joel came up to us and asked for a flyer. He told us he was super interested and even volunteered to help with our tour! We gave him our number and told him to call us. A couple days later, he calls us and still says he wants to help out. We had stake conference this weekend so we invited him to the adult session on Saturday night. He came and loved every minute of it. We've been teaching him and he's open to learning everything about our church! He's going to keep coming to church and is committed to praying about the Book of Mormon. Heavenly Father definitely sent Joel to us because he is amazing! 

This was the last week of being in a trio so my time as Hermana Smith is sadly coming to an end. I have personally seen the gift of tongues already happening. I only took a couple years of Spanish in high school so basically I knew nothing. As we taught this man named Gustavo, I was able to understand what they were saying! Ok not word for word, but I knew when he asked questions about the Book of Mormon and I knew when Hermana Wilcock invited him to be baptized. It was really cool to see how God uses us as His instruments. I even got to pray in Spanish after the lesson!

Ok now to explain the title...so on Thursday night we went to visit this 50 year old less active member named Brother Deveraux. He is trying to quit drinking but is having a really hard time. We knocked on his door a couple of times and no answer. Sister Morris says "I bet he is at the bar" and she starts marching over there. Hermana Wilcock and I just look at each other in fear. We literally walked into the bar and I wish I could've taken a picture of everyone's face when they saw us come in. They were so shocked! We asked if we can talk to someone and the bartender says that should be fine, but if the cops come, we have to exit as soon as possible (we were underage obviously). We see Brother Deveraux and he turns as white as a ghost. We pulled him outside and showed him a video. He went straight home after that and didn't finish his drink.

The next day we stop by his home again and offer to help clean his house. He is getting kicked out because he can't afford to pay rent. We practically forced ourselves in and we were horrified. Beer cans and trash were EVERYWHERE. We got right to work and filled 11 TRASH BAGS OF CANS! We weren't even half way done but he was getting embarrassed and made us stop. In the end, he was grateful for what we did and asked us to help him stay sober. We are going to get a group to meet at the church every week to help him overcome his addictions. I truly love this man; he never had kids so he calls us his daughters. He is the sweetest man you will ever meet. It breaks my heart to see Satan dragging him down this dark path but he has such a desire to change and I know he will. 

I'm finally done with my first transfer and I can't believe how fast it has gone! Sunday night was transfer calls so Sister Morris and I couldn't function at all! We were so nervous one of us was getting transferred. We even went to a members house to do companion study because we needed to be distracted. Luckily, no one is getting transferred and I still get Sister Morris all to myself for another 6 weeks! We had a 20 minute dance party after we found out we didn't have to leave Enumclaw - it was legendary. The work has only just begun and we have so much to still do here. Prepare to hear lots of miracle stories because I have a good feeling about this next transfer! 

The church is TRUE and I love being a missionary! 

-sis. smith 

"we are eating ribs tonight so protect your dresses with these."

My sistas

Danielle (fav member) got us socks from Alaska!

Finally found a full body mirror

The end of an era



No comments:

Post a Comment