Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Week 26 & 27 - New Year = New Area

Hello!!

Wow I have so much to update you on, but so little time to do it! So much has happened in the last two weeks and apparently I'm a third way done with my mission already...umm what? Where did the time go?! 

Today marks two weeks since my beloved Italian companion went back to finish her mission in Temple Square. Sister Deruvo, you will be missed. Honestly, it was really rough after she left. We didn't know how to function and just cried to our ward mission leader's wife, Sister Callahan (my second mom basically). But then things got better and Christmas time definitely put us in high spirits. Last Monday, we had a white elephant gift exchange with our zone on Christmas Eve...there were some pretty odd gifts. I guess they make bacon and pickle flavored candy canes now?? Yuck! We spent Christmas Eve night knocking on doors, caroling style. We got all the sisters in our zone and just picked a couple streets in the area to tract. We sang to everyone and shared the love of Christ with God's precious children. It was such a good night. 

On Christmas day, we did our own little secret Santa early in the morning and delivered gifts to a less active family in our ward who didn't have much. Then we made banana pancakes and called our families. We spent the rest of the day visiting widows and less active members. We made sugar cookies the day before and delivered them to all of our friends. We spent the whole day just serving people and it was by far the most memorable Christmas. I've never felt so much joy and the time just flew by! 

On Thursday, we had a miracle. We stopped by our referral (Jason) again to set up an appointment. Usually, he is never home and we were kinda losing hope in this guy. Well, guess what? He actually answered the door AND invited us in. We sat down and he says "I'm not exactly sure how to start this...I've only been taught by the boy missionaries once." Sister Waldron and I just glance at each other like "ok I guess we are having our teaching appointment now!" We taught him the Restoration and when I recited the "First Vision" to him, the Spirit was so powerful. The first thing he said was "wow, that's pretty intense" so I know he felt it. He accepted our invitiation to be baptized and to finish it off...he came to church on Sunday! And he brought his cute 7 year old daughter named Ava! It was the cherry on top for this transfer! I'm so excited for them and I know the whole family will accept the gospel one day. Jason is a special soul and the love he has for his daughter just warms my heart. 

Ok now for some really BIG news! I'm getting transferred and so is my companion! Saturday morning, we were getting ready and our mission president calls us randomly. We were so scared to answer it because President never calls. He told us that our area is being whitewashed and we would have to get everything in order. Whitewashing is when both missionaries are taken out of an area and new missionaries are put in...so they have no idea what they are doing. My little ward will have elders now, which is so strange to me. We had to clean EVERYTHING in our apartment, pack, fix the area book, and say goodbye to everyone. It was the most insane weekend ever and also the saddest. Enumclaw is all I have ever known, I mean I spent 6 months here! It will be nice to have a change but wow, I'm going to miss this place so much! They have all become my second family and I don't want to ever leave them. But I'm super excited for my new area: Renton! It's in the heart of the mission and the complete opposite of Enumclaw. Lots of city and just below Seattle area. Pray for my safety lol. 

Well that's all I have time to write about! Have an amazing new year and remember to include Christ in your new year's resolutions! Love you all!! 

love,
sis. smith 


Sister training leaders brought us Christmas presents

 Making sugar cookies

Caroling (also, look at this house!) 

My girl Ava

Mount Rainer, you will be missed 😢

Meet Hazel, the cutest baby ever

 The Riendeau fam (sorry for the pic quality)

The Callahan's ❤

We look like ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment