Monday, November 18, 2019

Week 72 & 73 - Little Africa

Ok I realize that my weeks for my emails may or may not be off but too late to go back and fix it!

Anyway, happy November everyone! Wow, and it's already more than half way through. It's been some of the busiest weeks of my mission and it's about to get crazier. We had a couple of exchanges at the beginning of our weeks. I got to go on Vashon Island which is this island right off of Seattle and you have to ride the ferry over. It was so fun and I felt like I was on a mini cruise ship! Ok maybe not that glamorous. Vashon Island is full of quirky people and we had quite a terrifying encounter with 9+ raccoons. Sister Reda and I were trying to visit someone and we came across like 9 pairs of beady little eyes staring at us. One of the raccoons stood on its hind legs and started screeching. There was a man out on his deck above the raccoons so I said very casually "Excuse me sir, do you realize you have a pack of raccoons underneath your deck?" He told us how he has lived here for a very long time and he actually feeds the raccoons so they are practically his pets. I did say they were quirky people on Vashon, right? 

On the other exchange, I went to the Jovita Creek area (it's also in Federal Way) with Sister Burgess. We taught this spunky lady named Candy (no joke) and she is just a hoot! She had a boyfriend who was a member and that's how she was introduced to the Church. She loves it and wants to be baptized eventually. She lives in a senior center and they do activities almost every hour. After our lesson, she checked the clock and said "oh no! The ice cream float social is almost over! We must hurry down!" So she pushes us out of her little room and practically runs for the elevator. We get down just in time for the ice cream and she breathed out the biggest sigh of relief. I've never seen someone get so worked up over ice cream! 

We found this man named Xavier a couple of weeks ago. He was kind and willing to talk with us. We haven't been able to get in contact with him since, but whenever we drop by, we always find his wife at home. Last time we dropped by, I asked if I could use her bathroom and she let us in. We were able to share a scripture from the Book of Mormon with her and she asked "Oh, what's his story again?" (referring to the prophet that wrote the verse). We thought she was thinking it was from the Bible so we quickly explained it was from the Book of Mormon. She told us she recognized it and she had read the whole Book of Mormon when she was a teenager! She had friends who were members and they had a study group every week. She went to church with them frequently and really liked it. She then told us how her and her husband have been looking for a church and my heart just skipped a beat! We told them they are more than welcome to come to ours, but totally spaced it on giving them the address and time. Our bad! We will definitely go back this week!

Amuji and Lizzie are doing great! They both came to church yesterday and loved it! Now we just gotta help them take the next step which is much easier said than done....please pray for them!!!

Ok that's pretty much it! Love you all!
ps. our area is basically little Africa because we keep finding Africans to teach! They are awesome!

Oh. And I chopped my hair 💁🏼‍♀️✂️

love,
sister smith


riding on the ferry

my greatest nightmare (raccoons are ferocious and I don't like them) 

Redondo beach 

tracting in the pitch black

some of our favorite members

our friend Lizzie's cat who was taking the Book of Mormon hostage

a baptism we attended yesterday (the Star Lake sisters found Nate and referred him to the YSA ward)

No comments:

Post a Comment