Monday, November 25, 2019

Week 74 - Reactivation and Referrals

This past week has had many ups and downs. Our area president came to visit us and wow, he is an inspired man. I loved learning from President Pearson and I've taken much of it to heart. He talked about becoming a disciple of Jesus Christ and shared intimate experiences from his own mission. I think some missionaries tend to get caught up in thinking they only have to "do this" for 18 months to 2 years, and everything will be back to normal after. The truth is, your mission is supposed to set you up for the kind of person you are going to be for the rest of your life! For me, it has been an experience that has impacted me forever. I realize that becoming a disciple of Christ is a long-term goal. I am eager to apply the things that President Pearson taught me to my life after the mission because from the time I put that nametag on and was set apart, I made a commitment to change. And I'm happy to say that I have changed and have no desire to go back to what I thought was "normal." I am ready for whatever comes next and I find joy in self-improvement! 

Ok update for the week: our friends Lizzie and Amuji are basically members...just need to be baptized, that's all. They come to church almost every week and keep all of their commitments. I just keep praying that one day something will click for them and they will see what they have been missing out on. There are so many more blessings to come after becoming a member! Baptism really is the gate or the starting point. We continue to find elect people every day. Our bishop informed us about a member who had her records removed years ago and wants to come back now! We will get to teach her and help her to reenter the waters of baptism. I love seeing people come back to the church! 

Speaking of people coming back to church: we had a cool member and missionary experience this week. A member in our ward had been thinking about this less active named John Reid. He is a convert of 5 years and has fallen away because he feels guilty about the mistakes he made since his baptism. The member asked us to pay John a visit, which we did. John was so sweet and we shared a short message with him. Then, we invited him to our ward potluck and he came! He felt so much love at the potluck that he came to church yesterday as well! He hasn't been to church in years so that was a lovely little miracle. I love when members and missionaries work together; we can accomplish so much more! 

We also got a cool referral this week from the Hawaii temple visitor center. The sister missionaries there were so cute and gave us a call to make sure we understand this human's circumstances and needs. He is from another religion, but was also interested in Christianity. He had a friend who was a member of the Church and wanted to know what made us different from other Christian churches. After much asking, he finally decided to read the Book of Mormon. We have to order one for him in Arabic and we will get to meet him this Wednesday. He wants to know the truth for himself and has put in the time to search. His name is Wisam (Sam) and I'm so excited to teach him!

This is my last week of being with Sister Cowley. She goes home exactly a week from today and I can't wait for her to see her family! She is such a dedicated missionary and deserves every blessing that's coming to her. I am so grateful I was able to serve alongside her many times in my mission. As for me, I have no idea what will happen after she leaves. I think President Beardall will put two new sisters with me in Star Lake until I leave. Guess we will know next week!

ok love you all and happy Thanksgiving! I think it's no coincidence that Thanksgiving is right before Christmas. When we take the time to be grateful for what we've been given, we are humbled and can see God's hand in our lives. It prepares us for the celebration of Christ's  humble birth and the miracle of His life. I love this season and I love my Savior!

love,
sister smith

No comments:

Post a Comment