Monday, July 23, 2018

Week 4 - Enumclaw is NOT Seattle

Hey friends!

I made it safely to Washington and am already a week into it! Honestly time just flies on the mission. My first area is a tiny town in the legit middle of nowhere called Enumclaw. It's as far south from Seattle as you can get in the mission boundaries and I absolutely love it! We have Mount Rainier in our region so we get to go on some pretty amazing hikes here. One word to describe Washington: GREEN. There are trees every where you look. I have yet to experience the rain; it's actually been quite hot here and the sun has been out every day. 

My trainer is Sister Morris and I love her dearly. We watercolor at night and take turns citing scriptures in different accents. She has been out a year so I feel very inexperienced next to her, but she has honestly been a trooper in training a newbie like me. :) Our apartment is among the craziest of crazies and it smells like smoke. Also it's falling apart, but we are working on that. We just stuff toilet paper in the holes and tape quotes we print out over them. It works....sorta. 

This week we've been doing a lot of teaching and door-knocking. I got to invite one of our friends (we call them friends here, not investigators) to be baptized. He didn't say no, but he didn't say yes either. Hopefully, he'll come around! Yesterday was probably the best day. We haven't been having much success with our friends so we decided to just knock on some doors. Nothing. We knocked a couple of other areas and still nothing. It was 8 pm and we had just one more hour before we had to turn in. My companion and I decided to say a prayer. We both felt strongly to visit this one area we were by earlier in the week. We drove over and found a lady watering her grass with a hose. We went over to talk to her and she told us how she's been having a rough life lately. Her son ran away with her grandson and she doesn't know where either of them are. We showed her a video and she started crying. We promised her if she listened to our message, everything in her life would be made right. She told us we could come back another day and teach her more. Little miracles do exist friends! 

I didn't take a single picture this week.... I know, I'M THE WORST! I promise next week I'll try harder. I know that God wants me out here for a reason and these people are my everything. They are all so different and unique, but they have one common thing: they are children of God. I hope to continue finding more lost sheep and help bring them home. Life is SO GOOD as a missionary. You just serve and learn and teach and it brings me so much JOY! I can't wait to see what's in store for me.

-sister smith

No comments:

Post a Comment