Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Week 1 is Done!

Hi friends!

Let me just start out by saying that time at the MTC is a weird thing. Each day seems like an eternity but then you look back and it feels like you arrived yesterday instead of a week ago! The feeling here is honestly amazing. Everyone is so committed and happy to be here. My companion's name is Sister Baxter and she is so sweet. She's from Mississippi so she has a Southern accent and it's the greatest. She puts up with my moodiness in the morning and my crazy sleep-deprived side at night. I love her a lot. Sister Cowley and Sister Watts are my roomies and I LOVE THEM WITH ALL MY HEART! Sister Watts is from Australia and she loves America more than anyone I've ever met. She talks about the 4th of July and how excited  she is almost all the time. We also get Australian words of the day from her. Like yesterday she called a drinking fountain a bubbler and we had no idea what she was talking about haha. My district is literally the best and we have so much fun together. There's a rule about no clapping or singing in the cafeteria, but we break that rule probably every meal. We are just a bunch of oddballs. A third of us are going to Seattle, one third is going to Rochester, New York and the other third is going to India. We play sand volleyball and spikeball on the fields everyday even though we are all terrible at it. We make each other laugh 24/7 but we also make each other cry. Let me tell you that fast Sunday is way better here. When we had testimony meeting on Sunday many of the elders went up and Sister Cowley and I were bawling like babies. They all have such strong testimonies and I've learned so much from them. My zone sisters are the best ever. I love being with them because we are all going through the same stuff and it's cool to have people to talk to. We share candy every night and have random dance parties to primary music. It's super great. Half of them are leaving this Wednesday and I don't want them to go yet. I've only known them for less than a week but they already feel like family. They are the sweetest and I'm excited for them to be in the mission field. 

It's honestly CRAZY how much you grow in less than a week. My teachers are amazing, especially Sister Martin. She has so much energy and it makes my day a million times better. Sister Baxter and I have already started teaching our first real investigator. Her name is Kyujin and she is from Korea. She is the cutest ever and I love teaching her. On Sunday, we got to watch "Character of Christ" by David A. Bednar and it changed my whole view as a missionary. I realize that I'm not here for me, I'm here to help others come unto Christ. Our Savior always turned outwards even when it was hard and I need to learn to do the same. Focusing in class can be rough and waking up at 6:30 can be rough but that's what the Atonement is for. We can make mistakes, learn, and try again. I know why I'm here and i wouldn't change it for anything. How often do you get to spend 18 months with God and constantly feel His love? I realize that I don't get this opportunity again and although the journey seems long, I want to make the most of it all. Our Heavenly Father is aware of everything we go through and He will NOT abandon us. GOD IS SO GOOD TO US. I joined the mtc choir and it's amazing. Singing in general is amazing here because when hundreds of missionaries are singing together, the Spirit is so strong. We sang "The Spirit of God" at mission conference this past Sunday and it was POWERFUL. We really are an army of God. 

I've loved my first week here and I can't wait to learn more. It's crazy that I'm a missionary because I still feel far away from that title. It probably won't even hit me until I'm out in the field. It's the hardest thing ever to call people "elders" and "sisters" because I'm so used to saying "guys". I know that I have a long way to go before I'll ever be ready but I know my loving Father in Heaven will help me every step of the way.

The gospel is true, the book is blue, and God loves you.  

sis smith
ps sorry the quality of these photos sucks, i'm still learning how to use this mission phone :)














No comments:

Post a Comment