Monday, March 4, 2019

Week 35 & 36- The Healing Power of Christ's Atonement

Hello friends! These last two weeks have been one big emotional roller coaster. I feel like the mission is making me bipolar. 

Good news first: Khayolane and Stella got baptized and confirmed this weekend! They are now official members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Their dad said the opening prayer and their grandma gave the talk on baptism. So many people came including our friend Evan! 

Speaking of Evan...I experienced a personal little miracle last week that had to do with helping Evan accept a baptismal date: 

As a mission, we have been studying the Atonement of Jesus Christ and I have been able to apply His healing power in my life. While paying the price for the sins of the world, Christ was truly alone in His suffering and I know He understands us completely. He also understands that we have weaknesses, but through him can our weaknesses become strengths. I saw this for myself and I know it is true. We have been trying to get Evan to accept a baptismal date for weeks now, but something was holding him back. We were determined to figure out how to help him. After much calling around, we finally found a member's home to hold the lesson in. Right before the lesson, I had a huge migraine hit me and I felt sick to my stomach. I was upset because I really wanted this lesson to happen, but I didn't know if I would be able to teach. I said a small prayer and we went to the lesson anyway. I hoped that Heavenly Father would see my faith and make it bearable enough for me to teach. As soon as we entered the member's home, my migraine instantly left. I was fully alert in the lesson as we taught Evan about repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. Having that fresh faith-building experience in my mind, I testified of God's love and how He can help us overcome hard things. In the end, Evan finally accepted a baptismal date for April 6th! I know Heavenly Father gives us trials not only to benefit us, but to give us a way of connecting with others. My migraine did return after the lesson, but I was grateful that I was able to remain free of that weakness for long enough. Christ knows us personally and He will do anything to help us. The Lord's work is not something to be put on-hold; it will always find a way to move forward. 

So yeah, now Evan is on date and he is continuing to progress! He is enjoying church and his attitude is changing. I have seen him start to let Christ in and he is much happier than when we first met him. And the best part is that he is starting to recognize it too! 

Casey on the other hand has fallen down a dark hole. As a result of trying to quit smoking on his own, he has abandoned his family and they don't know where he is right now. We fasted for him yesterday and hopefully Casey will reach out to us again soon. Please keep him in your prayers; I still have faith that he can overcome this! 

The same day we found out about Casey, I received a call from my trainer telling me that a man we both loved dearly in Enumclaw passed away. I couldn't do it anymore; I just crumpled up into a little ball and cried. This man (Brother Jack Simmons) was the best member missionary I had ever met and he was diagnosed with cancer my 2nd transfer. I watched his health continue to decline, but he always had so much hope. I figured that one day he would return to his Heavenly Father, but I wasn't expecting it to be this soon. It broke my heart to think about his sweet wife who would be returning to an empty house. But then, once again, Christ's Atonement picked up every broken piece and I was able to see the blessings. A couple of friends we have been teaching also lost people this week and I was now able to relate to them in a way I couldn't before. I bore testimony of the Plan of Salvation to them and it meant something more to me. Even in our darkest times, Heavenly Father gives us a way to help someone else. 

My trainer picked me up and took me to the funeral today. It was a beautiful service and I got to see my old ward again! Sister Morris and I sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" during the service and we barely made it through. It was the same song we sang to Jack when he found out he had cancer. There wasn't a dry eye in the room. I know everyone loved Jack Simmons and he will always be remembered. His testimony of the restored gospel was by far the strongest I've ever seen/heard. I'm so thankful I had the chance to know him. 

I'm thankful to be a missionary. I'm thankful for the good and the bad. I'm thankful for Christ's Atonement and God's incredible plan for His children. I hope you all have an amazing week and remember to tell those you love how much they mean to you. Life is too short to hold grudges so just love everyone!!

love, 
sis. smith 





Khayolane and Stella after being baptized

 A member who just returned home from her mission this week wanted to come out with us.  
She said she already missed the work and wanted to keep it going!

Sister Simmons aka the most Christlike person I know

 I got to see my trainer again!!



No comments:

Post a Comment